Thursday, January 3, 2008

Day 9...Right on!


182.8 pounds


So, I promised I'd talk about my plans for the new year. I hesitate to call them "resolutions," because in the past, that word has not served me well. I'd like to begin this discussion with a couple of quotes regarding the new year I find amusing and thought provoking:


Many people look forward to the new year for a new start on old habits. ~Author Unknown


And, perhaps more upbeat, from our old pal, Ben Franklin:


Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. ~Benjamin Franklin



Yes, this year I hope to become a 'better man...' or 'woman,' as the case may be. I also hope to be a much lighter version of myself when I ring in next year. My plan for the first portion of the year is to lose, lose, lose. My birthday is in mid June, and that's when I'd like to reach my 'basic' goal weight. I say 'basic,' because I keep reading about the 'healthiest' weights, and I do see the health benefit of being within 5-10 pounds of our weight at around age 18-21. Well, I see the benefit from an INTELLECTUAL point of view, but from a PRACTICAL point of view? How can that really be? At 18, I was not a mother yet. My body had not gone through multiple pregnancies in a short period of time; I hadn't ballooned up to an astronomical weight yet...so, how REALISTIC is it that I should be 120 pounds again? So, anyhow, long story short...my primary goal is 140 pounds. I think that's realistic and would allow me to eat the occasional slice of cake. If I can somehow make it down to 120 without torture, then, ok. If not, 140 is peachy with me.


Exercise needs to be a central part of my life; no exceptions. I've been a weenie about it the last few months, and it's really worn me down. It also shows on the scale...I could've been so much farther in my weight loss journey if I'd just stuck with it...*sigh*


Stress relief is going to be an integral part of my day this year, too. I need to calm the $*@& down!


Are you a list person? Would you rather just get to the 'meat' of the story? Me, too. So, here it goes:


FatMom's goals for 2008:


1. Spend the first 5 months focusing primarily on weight loss. I have 23 weeks until my birthday. To be at 140 pounds by then, I need to lose an average of 1.9 pounds a week. Ok, doesn't sound tooooo terrible.


2. Exercise, exercise, exercise. No excuses! For variety, change up the routine every couple of months. I'd like to take a belly dancing class. Perhaps tai chi, too. Ahhh, and yoga, too. Oh, and this fall, a tennis class. I also want to learn to kayak.


3. Impart more FUN into my life!


4. Complete my first 5K outside of the gym!



So, here's to a new year and a different version of myself~


FatMom


P.S.: Did anyone see You: On a Diet on t.v. last night? The only thing that floored me was when they showed the heart of an obese person versus the heart of a thin person. Holy cow, but the obese heart was the size of a HUGE dinner plate, and the thin person's heart was the size of...well, a fist, the size it should be! Where's the treadmill?!



1 comment:

Fatinah said...

I just found you again - do you mind???