Monday, June 30, 2008

Day 188...weight...183


Thank you to everyone for your kind words and encouragement last week. I did have a shitty week, and, well...I do hope this week will be better.


Ducks were relocated on Saturday. The drive (once you got OUT of our large, ugly, sprawling city) was beautiful. Acres and acres of empty land. Which was beautiful. But it also made me a bit sad. Why? I guess because the land isn't being loved. (Yes, I'm weird) No one lives on it to make it their own. No herds of animals graze on it...for THAT I was thrilled AND sad...let me explain: Thrilled because open land + herds of animals = slaughter , SO...if there's no animals out there, there's no slaughter. But then my less naive mind kicked in and said: Duh, FatMom, open land - grazing animals = animals stuffed into tiny cages who will STILL be slaughtered. (SAD) I'm way too sensitive, I know...


ANY-way, the drive was lovely. The lady's property is lovely. She has quite a number of all types of fowl in various set ups and "yards." She has some who have health issues or physical issues which precludes them from being re-introduced to the wild. She has others that she will send back out into the wild blue yonder. But she will NOT let my two "go." My ducks didn't know quite what to do when we got there. In fact, they were literally shaking with fear. They were panting with fear, as well. (Yes, ducks can pant) But we stayed for over an hour (I would have stayed longer, but had a commitment back in our beloved city at a particular time), and they relaxed. They kept coming up to me, though, with a look of : Mom! WTF?! Please hold me! So, I'd stroke their bills and tell them (and myself) it was going to be ok. There was one VERY large Mallard drake there who has a girlfriend, but who likes to check out the other ladies, and when he got too close to my girl, my male chased him away! Pushed up ON that boy! I was sooo proud of my boy defending his girl like that. I felt a lot better after that, knowing that they would work hard to defend themselves if necessary.


The lady is so nice. I'm totally going to be her in 25 years. Except I don't know that I could release any of them, but that's another story...good for her for being able to do that... She even called me Saturday night to tell me they ate with the rest of the group, and went into their hutch on their own at bed time. So that also relaxed me a bit.


I'm already planning a trip up there in mid July. It's all I can do to keep from calling every day to see how they are. Just trying to relax. But it's hard. I miss seeing their bright little faces. I took a billion pictures of them. I feel that a piece of my heart is missing.


Jeez, can you imagine how I'm going to be when my kids move out? I'm going to need to be sedated...


*sigh* In other news...I'll be heading back to the gym today. I've missed it. I've allowed so many other things in my life to take precedence over my exercise routine, and that's not good for me. I'm concerned about next school year (which starts in August)...I will be working full time, and I know myself...I can't "leave" my kids to go exercise. So, what to do, what to do... I want to get a treadmill for the house and cancel my gym membership. I've got weights here, and I also have a bike. So...all I need is the treadmill. Ha! I've tried convincing the husband we need a treadmill, and that is just not going anywhere. He wants one of those fancy flat screen t.v.'s, and I've said fine. So, why not a treadmill? Welcome to my life...


Thanks again, friends~


With love,

FatMom

No comments: